Osprey Outfitters Guide Service and Fly Shop

Osprey Outfitters Guide Service and Fly Shop
Osprey Outfitters Guide Service and Fly Shop

The Shop

The Shop
The Shop

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

GONE VIRAL!

"Dude, you've gone viral!" This was a quote of my good friend Donn said after telling him the goings on regarding my blog. This all started on Saturday (April 3) when I was visited from a person by the local chapter of Trout Unlimited. He came into the shop to talk to me about my blog and the fact that "it has pissed a lot of people off". My first thought was, holy shit people are actually reading my posts?! This gentleman continued by saying that since I was a relatively new shop in town I should be careful to essentially not rock the boat and that I should watch what I post. Was this a threat? Normally, I would take great offense to someone threatening me at my shop but I was still getting over the fact that more than a few of my friends were reading my blog! He went on to say that I had offended Mr. Clancy with my remarks and I should call him myself and discuss the issue (which I have since done). He stated that Mr. Clancy was on the forefront of stream side setbacks and the best watchdog this fishery could have. This may be the case, I have my opinions on the matter you can do your own research and decide for yourself. It will be VERY interesting to see what happens this year as far as river closures are concerned. We have very little water at this point and late July and the entire month of August could be challenging times.

This morning I was visited by a civil engineer looking for "Seen". I asked him if he was looking for Sean. He said yes and that I have pissed a lot of people off in this valley regarding my blog. Once again, holy shit people are reading it! This gentleman seemed very upset and had a printed page from my Facebook site regarding the recent article in The Bitterroot Star titled "Homeowners Reconstruct River". I had to cut the conversation short (due to the fact that I had customers in the shop) but suggested that the gentleman please come back and I would be happy to debate the issue with him. We will see what happens.

After talking to Mr. Clancy today I have decided to go to the Conservation District's meeting coming up. Mr. Clancy informed me that they are the one who actually issues the 310 permit and he is only an advisor to the process. There is also a permit that must be issued by the Army Corps and by the County for any floodplain work. Mr. Clancy did say that he used to have a post on the Conservation Districts website to inform people on the work being done on the Bitterroot River. He also used to post signs at river access points to inform floaters on any work being done. He said that these were ineffective because no one would check the website and the contractors would not be consistent with his postings at boat ramps. He now is suggesting new criteria be adopted for work being done during the Skwala hatch, March15-May15. He would have the contractor post a notice at the boat ramp as far as work schedules. He would also like to see the contractors do the work early in the morning and late in the evening to lessen the water turbidity during times when we are floating the river.

This is not a new issue plaguing the Bitterroot River. People have been basically doing what they want around here as well as toeing the line and getting permits when it comes to bank stabilization work. It seems that I have touched a REAL sensitive button for a lot of people around here. Leave it to me to be in the middle of controversy! Who knows, if I keep posting controversial issues maybe we will have full scale protests marching for both sides in the parking lot. Like they say, "Any press is good press". Who are "they" anyway and why do "they" know so much? I digress, sorry. GO FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading your Blog now Sean!!! A hearty hellow from Canada. Vincent will be up here in a couple weeks for some late season steelheading.

    Hope all is well and I'll be logging in from time to time to see how the dust settles ;)

    Flavio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean...I'm back. Not to detract from the importance of your most recent posts...I just want to say that I'm really enjoying the Blog.

    You're a great writer and the blogs posts are informative and a delight to read. Very descriptive and funny. Hope your season turns out well for you.

    Cheers Flavio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Flavio. The last few posts have created quite a stir around here. Pretty funny actually! I hope all is well and would be stoked see you again soon. Fishing has been unreal. Yesterday was probably one of the best days of the spring so far. Look for that post soon....

    ReplyDelete